One of 2019’s highlights was working with Epson, a brand we love. We got to play and share our experience with the Epson EcoTank L7160. Now, just a few months later this home printer has become a lockdown lifesaver! From arts and crafts to printing the girl’s school work and even Eliana’s stage 2 reading books.
And with mom’s asking me to share more about our home printer; I decided to do a quick review, listing 5 reasons why the Epson EcoTank L7160 beats all the other home printers we’ve owned.
1. The print quality is out of this world!
This is the most important feature of a home printer, obviously, yet, in the past, I’ve been let down countless times. Printers just never seemed to deliver the beautiful printed images and documents advertised on their packaging… They just never seemed to quite measure up to what was promised and in the end, all colour print work and photos would have to be passed on to the professionals.
The Epson EcoTank L7160 is different! Printing perfectly crisp text, no matter how tiny the font size. The colours are vivid and spot-on too, no matter the paper I choose to use and the photo quality actually exceeds our local professional photo printing services. PLUS, I can print anytime I like. No more waiting “for about an hour” (a.k.a “rather come back tomorrow”).
2. The ink never seems to finish.
The next important consideration when looking into home printers is ink-usage.
Once again the Epson EcoTank L7160 did not disappoint! I have no idea how, but the ink just does not run out… When you purchase the L7160 it comes with up to three years’ worth of ink – which is enough ink to print up to 1,500 standard size photos. (Ours probably won’t last that long seeing that I print photos weekly as I try to catch up on years of baby books).
It’s also cartridge-free rather making use of ultra-high-capacity ink tanks.
The ink tanks are far easier and less messy to refill using the individually sold ink bottles. Individually sold also means you’re saving again seeing as you only need to replace colour as they run out. And the ink is affordable starting at R250 for 65ml.
To save ink I can make use of the 4 printing preferences – fine, normal, economy and fast economy to print various documents.
3. Quick and easy to use.
Set up only takes minutes and can be done using the LCD screen. The interface really is very user-friendly giving you the ability to easily select and change settings and functions. The Epson EcoTank L7160 also comes with dual paper trays making paper size selecting fast and fuss-free. Simply print from cassette 1 or 2.
With an SD card slot and USB port on the side, you can print photos instantly straight from your camera which is amazing for fellow photo-lovers.
4. It has WIFI!
This is a MUST! No more connecting with cables and turning everything on-and-off a 100 times just to print 1 sheet. This printer is fully Wi-Fi enabled making it possible for me to print from any of our smart devices (phone or iPad) using the Epson iPrint app. For desktop and laptop, we did a once-off software download and that was it!
I lie in bed at night, printing photos off my phone or last-minute school documents that need to be signed and returned. Eliana (8) saves images she needs for school projects and after putting it all together in Canva, she just presses print. Even Lia (5 years old) knows how to work our printer.
5. There’s nothing it can’t do (paper wise)
It’s a 3-in-1 printer, copier and scanner and it can also print double-sided documents.
We use ours for photocopying, school projects, important personal and business documents, birthday decor, stationary, school labels and photos of course. Being able to do all of this from home hasn’t just been a money saver but actually a huge time saver too.
And who can’t benefit from some extra time?
If I had to list one negative it would be its inability to print larger than A4.
But honestly, That’s me nitpicking seeing as I’ve only needed to print 4 A3 photos in the past 2 years… A printer able to print A3 would also not be a good home printer, in my opinion, seeing as it would take up far too much space.
The Epson EcoTank L7160 is not cheap and retails for R8 000+ but it’s an investment you won’t regret and gives you more than your money’s worth. It’s by far the best home printer we have owned (and with all the dust collectors in our study, we know a thing or two about inferior home printers). Keep an eye on Takealot.com for the best prices and specials on printers, ink, photo paper, and other necessities. Also, be sure to read up on the other Epson EcoTank printers currently available.
Now, where to find the best FREE PRINTABLES for kids…
- Pure Beginnings – Join Ollie and friends for fun writing, cutting, sticking, creating, word searches, and dot-to-dot – you also stand a chance to win your very own Pure Beginnings soft toy character by completing the cut-out puzzle included in this fun activity book.
- Wild Mountain Child – Beautiful nature play and study ideas and printables.
- Jonathan Woodward Studio – Wildlife illustrator Jonathan Wood have put together two, 16-page activity kits full of fun facts about the Savanna and Ocean life. Creative collage, drawing, and colouring tutorials will engage your child while teaching them more about the wild.
- Paper Tales Wolf Puppet – Talented illustrator Anja Stoeckigt, designed a dashing little DIY Wolfie paper doll puppet that can be downloaded from her Facebook Page. We hope to see more of her characters come to life in our home.
- Die Oorwurms – Something Afrikaans : Eenvoudige pret aktiwiteite vir die jongspan met die mooiste illustrasies. Daar is selfs lekker “Oorwurm” episodes om te luister en geniet.
- Merrilee Liddiard– You’ll need to browse the Merrilee Liddiard shop for FREEBIES but it’s definitely worth the effort seeing as they design some of the prettiest printables for kids. All inspired to encourage the most fantastical imaginative play! This is one of our favourite websites to visit, especially being a girl mom.
- Remember to pop into the Mattel Playroom too for cute activity and colouring pages featuring popular favourites.
FREE Printables that ask for your email…
- Bravery Mag – The coolest quarterly magazine for kids 5-12 featuring strong female role models. Visit their blog section to find modern FREEBIES the kids will love.
- Mayalief – By mamas, for mamas. Mayalief has a massive selection of FREE printables that are both fun to do and educational at the same time. You’ll find alphabet and numeracy activities. Cute seasons themes and more. This page is a MUST VISIT!
- WEE gallery – Cards, crafts, colouring pages, finger puppets and more. Little ones and parent alike are sure to be WEE fans.
- Of unusual kind – For the prettiest selection of paper dolls.
We have a great selection of our own FREE PRINTABLES too…
Arts & Crafts
Play & Learn
- PRINT your 60+ Activities for kids to do at home
- 21 Taste Safe sensory play ideas for babies and toddlers
- Word Scavenger Hunt for Kids / Woord skattejag vir kinders
- Colour Scavenger Hunt for Kids / Kleur Skattejag vir kinders
- DIY Nature Scavenger Hunt for Kids / DIY Natuur Skattejag vir kinders