Pure Beginnings is more than organic skincare for kids… They are a brand that cares about their customers, the environment and every other person we share our world with. It’s not just about sales and business but also about inspiring CHANGE with wonderful initiatives like “Celebrate Your Organic”.
We want to encourage everyone to embrace ’their’ organic – be it intentional time with your kids, growing your own organic produce at home, committing to a single use plastic-free way of living, or buying local. It’s not about a right or a wrong way to celebrate organic – it’s about being thoughtful and intentional about how we live, holding ourselves accountable, and inspiring others in the same way.
Being proud brand ambassadors we got to host our own #celebrateorganic event earlier this month at the lovely Jackson’s Real Food Market in Kyalami. Today I am sharing all the fun (and helpful) details. We even include a little giveaway at the end to help YOU “celebrate your organic” too!
More about the day…
We celebrate organic in so many ways BUT this year grade 1 brought us new challenges… One being; packing healthy school lunches that are waste-free too. We’ve posted tips and lunch box cheat sheets with great ideas but it was time to call in the “experts”.
My sister-in-law, Shandré Linde, has a degree in Consumer Science and Hospitality Management. Currently doing her masters on “Who’s to blame for food waste in South Africa” while lecturing on Restaurant Management and Recipe Development at the University of Pretoria, she is also the Community Manager for Cookpad SA – A new Recipe App where users share, like and save their favourite recipes with foodies from all around the world.
Passionate about educating others on living a more mindful life when it comes to food and the way we eat without realising the damage we are causing to the environment and our monthly budgets, Shandré ran the show while the girls and I tried our best to be good sous chefs.
One of her TOP TIPS of the day was buying seasonal fruits and veggies. She included this handy magnet, listing fruits and veggies by season and in order of their water footprint (the amount of water needed to grow them). Click on the link at the bottom of the list to download and print one for yourself. It’s so handy having it up in the kitchen and on my phone while shopping.
What was on the menu?
Shandré planned a delicious and nutritious lunchbox filled with exciting, new recipes for kids to enjoy. Best of all, the recipes are all quick and easy which means your little one can help prepare their own lunchbox while fostering a love and understanding for eating well.
- Vegan Beetroot wrap with Pea and Spinach Pesto and crumbed Chickpea Falafels
- Seasonal fruit (Fig and Grape) skewers with Yoghurt Dip
- No-Bake Apricot Oats balls
The awesome guests…
Together with 10 other mamas and their littles we spent the morning preparing and packing our own organic lunch boxes. The Pure Beginnings team joined too. We chatted over coffee and afterwards enjoyed all the delicious treats made. My favourites where the Apricot Balls and the Pea and Spinach pesto.
With so many giggles and smiles in the room, everyone felt energised and now definitely looks at lunch a little differently.
Have a look for yourself…
Changes we’ll be making…
Going forward we will be eating more of our own homegrown veggies (thanks to My Eco Sprout). We will be mindful about what’s in season, only peeling fruits and veggies when necessary and also looking for alternatives to repurpose and minimise any food waste.
I’ll also set out time to plan Eliana’s lunches, ensuring less “waste in a rush”.
More than anything else I’ll be sure to involve the girls in our daily food prep. Together “celebrating our organic”.
Special THANK YOU to all our sponsors; Cookpad, Healthy Homebox, Angus and Izzy, Buzzy Wraps, Silistraw, My Eco Sprout (chickpea seeds for your falaffels!) Good for the Ground, Jacksons Real Food Market, Cloud and Co. and of course, the BEST organic skincare for kids, Pure Beginnings!
Leave us an answer to any of the questions below and you could win your own “Healthy Lunchbox Toolkit”.
1. What one thing do you feel you do that improves your and your family’s life or the world around you?
2. What does “organic” mean to you?
3. If we had a chat with your friends, what would they say you are known for, or passionate about?
4. If you could inspire people to change just one thing that would have a greater impact on the world, what would it be?
5. We live in a world where exposure to chemicals is all around us. How do you limit your and your family’s exposure to these chemicals as much as possible?
(We’ll share our answers when we announce the winners…)
The “Toolkit” includes the following:
- A green, Yum Box Lunch Box from Cloud & Co.
- A blue Pura Stainless Steel Water Bottle from Healthy Home box
- Tierhoek Organic Snacks
- EcoSprout Chickpea Growing Kit
- Pure Beginnings Hand wash, Kids wash and Conditioning Shampoo
TOTAL PRIZE VALUE: R1200
We can’t wait to read your answers!
- Only comments left below is valid for entry.
- Competition only open to South African residents residing in South Africa.
- Winner must be 18+ years old.
- Competition closes on the 30th of April 2019.
- The winner is picked at random and announced via social media and this blogpost.
- This prize is not exchangeable for cash or refundable.
- Please enter a valid email and contact info. If we can not get hold of you within 48 hours a new winner will be picked.
- The greatest care will be taken when sending your prize but Just a Mamma and all brand mentioned above, do not accept any responsibility for lost, stolen or damaged goods.
PHOTO CREDIT | Tami de la Guerre from @house.of.dlg