INSTAX just released their latest edition to their instant camera family. A cute little hybrid that combines the convenience of a digital camera with the charm of an instant print. That means; NO MORE WASTED FILM! Capturing as many images as you like, go have a scroll to see which ones you like best and choose which memories to printout and savour forever! You can even reprint as many times as you like! But that’s not all this tiny camera offers so let’s jump right into our INSTAX LiPlay Review.
Let’s talk specs:
- Weight: 255 g
- Dimensions: 82.5 x 122.9 x 36.7 mm
- The LiPlay is a hybrid digital and instant film camera
- 4.9 MP
- CMOS sensor
- 2560 x 1920 Resolution
- Fixed wide-angle lens
- 6.9 cm LCD monitor found at the back of the camera
- Auto / Compulsory flash / Suppressed flash
- 10 and 2 sec. Self-timer
- Standard INSTAX selfie mirror
- Bluetooth connectivity for smartphone operation
- 1 Audio recording per image with QR Code playback
- Prints onto INSTAX mini instant film, which is roughly the size of a credit card
- Internal memory holds about 45 images but this camera also takes a microSD card (not included) to store loads of extra images
- Built-in rechargeable batteries that can be charged via USB.
Download the LiPlay App for printing, adding filters/frames and saving sound clips.
Available in Blush Gold, Stone White and Elegant Black.
Price and where to buy:
Around R2700 (excluding film) from leading photography and electronic stores as well as Musica. Online at Takealot.com.
What we love most about the Instax LiPlay:
Nothing is more frustrating than wasting precious INSTAX film on blurry images, closed eyes and wrong settings. Now you can shoot as many images as you like, using various settings, filters and compositions. Select the photo that looks the best, add a frame or filter, even edit a little more using the LiPlay App. Then print and reprint to your heart’s content!
Blue tooth connectivity.
Nowadays this is a standard feature for most cameras enabling us to pair our cameras with our phones, wirelessly. Now use your smartphone as a remote control.
- Take those family selfies with ease.
- Forgot your LiPlay at home? No problem. Print photos from your smartphone’s image library! You can still apply your favourite filters and frames to those shots too before printing.
Boosts your camera’s memory by adding a microSD card.
Images saved onto your memory card can also be store digitally on Dropbox, your computer or wherever you choose. You could also share them to social media.
A dedicated sound recording button is found on the front of the camera. It allows you to record a short audio and “attach” it to your prints. Don’t worry if you make a mistake, sounds can be played back and rerecorded if necessary.
The recorded sound is converted into a QR code via the LiPlay App. The QR code is then added to your photo – you can select the colour and location you like best.
When the QR code is scanned using a smartphone camera (no need to download or open the LiPlay App for this), the sound is replayed and the moment relived!
So, is sound recording a gimmick or cool new feature?
We say; COOL NEW FEATURE! Being able to add sound gives your memories a new, rich layer. You’ll never forget the sound of someone’s voice, the cute way your toddler pronounces certain words and who wouldn’t love to “hear” from a loved one far away?
Other ideas of what to record?
- Baby’s 1st word
- Your child’s giggle
- Birthday wishes
- Going away messages
- Messages from loved ones to keep for a special occasion – Think how cool it would be recording messages from close family and friends on your baby’s day of birth. These can be kept and played to your child when they turn 18 or 21. Just think how precious it could be receiving a message from loved ones that might not even be around anymore.
- Father’s Day, Mother’s Day or even Christmas cards
- The sound of Times Square
- A snippet from a performance by your favourite band
- Business cards with a personal touch
- Thank you card after an event.
- How about creating a fun treasure hunt with clues to solve?
- Love messages for your husband or wife
- Words of encouragement for your kids when they have something big going on in their lives.
I could go on forever but I think you get the idea…
It’s a printer!
No you don’t just have to print to photos taken with your LiPlay. You can also print photos stored on your phone. All you have to do is connect to the LiPlay App and you’re good to GO!
Reprint and share your memories with everyone involved in seconds. The LiPlay also stores the last 50 prints in it’s print history, making reprinting even easier.
It’s super easy to use
Being compact means the camera is easy to use – even our little Lia had no problem snapping up images. The buttons are also nice and big, easy to press and find. For photographers that like playing with frames… You’ll find a few handy shortcut buttons along the side of the LiPlay.
Operating the camera from the LCD monitor makes things much easier too. It feels more like using a standard camera interface giving you more shooting option and better images. Afterwards image composition, editing and printing setup is also easy to understand.
Use the display screen to get your best shot then select the images to print. It’s that easy!
The look of the camera
Sleek and compact. Available in stylish colours with a touch of sparkle or texture, just to make your photography experience that much more fun!
What could be better?
The battery life is short. It only lasts for about 100 snaps (which isn’t a lot for a trigger happy mama like myself) so, remember to pack a battery pack or recharge in the car. The LiPlay also needs a good 2 hours to fully charge.
This camera is amazing but being a big family, we still prefer the square print format. There is however one solution… INSTAX, can we have a LiPlay in square print mode, PLEASE?
Is the Instax LiPlay a good camera?
YES. The image quality far surpasses any of the other INSTAX cameras available in the Mini Collection and I would 100% recommend saving up and rather buying this camera rather than the Mini 8 or 9.
Selecting different flash modes, your ability to play around with exposure, zoom in and focus on a certain part of a photo, apply frames and even shooting with various filters gives you an opportunity to play around and create unique images to share and treasure forever.
It’s definitely an instant camera that offers more than just cool prints.
And just coz it’s my birthday… We’re giving away a Blush Gold INSTAX LiPlay to one lucky follower!
How to enter:
- Leave us a comment below telling us what YOU love best about the LiPlay!
- Make sure you follow INSTAX SA on Facebook or Instagram (both would be fab too).
- Follow us on either (or both) if you like, @justamammablog or @justamamma
- For extra entries be sure to enter on either this Facebook post or this Instagram post as well.
Enjoyed our Instax LiPlay review? You might also like, IS THE FUJIFILM X-T100 A GOOD CAMERA?
- Only entries via Instagram, Facebook and comments left below will be considered.
- Instagram and Facebook is in no way responsible or associated with this giveaway.
- You need to follow INSTAX SA on Instagram and / or Facebook to qualify.
- Competition only open to South African residents residing in South Africa.
- Winner must be 18+ years old.
- Competition closes on the 18th of August 2019.
- The winner is picked at random and announced within a few days after the 18th of August 2019.
- This prize is not exchangeable or refundable.
- Please enter valid email and contact info. If we can not get hold of you within 48 hours a new winner will be picked.
- The greatest care will be taken when mailing your prize but Just a Mamma and INSTAX SA do not accept any responsibility for lost, stolen or damaged goods.
PHOTO CREDIT | Photos of us using the LiPlay by Anje-Ilana van Dalen from Madison & West Lifestyle Division.