No two breastfeeding journeys are the same but as a mom it’s always a top priority figuring out how to increase your breastmilk supply. Taking care of yourself while nursing and nourishing your body is important but not always possible.
The newborn days can be particularly challenging and prolonged breastfeeding can cause a lot of strain on your body too. I remember feeling particularly drained around Ava’s first birthday. At 18 months I was ready to stop breastfeeding. Between 3 young kids I simply didn’t have time to take care of myself or to even remember eating breakfast and lunch.
My body was tired, my milk was becoming less by the day and I did not know what to do.
Mrs Milk location bars made all the difference!
Tasty, convenient and effective. These bars WORKED. I ate 1 to 2 bars a day and soon I was feeling great, making enough milk. My bars were my lifeline and I always had one in the car and one in the diaper bag. I actually needed to hide them from the girls too. They are simply too delicious!
At the heart of Mrs. Milk bars is Mrs. Milk herself, Natalie!
Mama to 19 month old John Micah. This is the story behind these incredible lactation bars.
When was Mrs. Milk founded?
Mrs. Milk started in the second month of Natalie’s maternity leave when she realised that her bars were helping not only herself but friends too.
Most moms really don’t have time to make their own lactation bars and if I can continue to help moms like I have been, I feel like it’s a job well done.
Why did you start Mrs. Milk?
John spent a week in NICU and nursing staff encouraged me to express breastmilk rather than breastfeed directly – due to frequent separation. Eventually, the little guy was deemed well enough to come home with us but John wasn’t keen to latch on my breast and with frequent formula top ups my milk supply was just not enough for his demand.
This is where my Mrs. Milk journey began – a mission to provide the best natural nourishment I could for my John.
I struggled finding a healthier option for “lactation cookies”. I also wanted a product that truly worked. Loads of research ensued. I tried every trick in the book. Eventually, I came across a healthier lactation bar recipe that looked promising.
I tried and tested different ingredients until eventually I had engineered the perfect recipe. A bar that increased my milk supply. Now Mrs. Milk bars offer a healthy dose of active milk making ingredients without any unnecessary extras.
My commitment and determination paid off and eventually, I was able to get John into the habit of latching and feeding directly from me.
As a full time working mamma, I eventually had to go back to work and leave my son in the hands of a care giver. I also had an international work trip scheduled shortly after returning from maternity leave.
I wanted to ensure that my job did not dictate my mommy role. While I was away for the week I needed to make sure I could leave enough expressed milk feeds for John. I was able to achieve my goal and I am still successfully breastfeeding our boy!
Why do you think so many mamas struggle with breastfeeding? How can we help them or bring about a change?
Breastfeeding is hard work! Many moms feel that breastfeeding should come naturally but this isn’t always the case – and that’s ok too!
I feel if more moms knew that we are all in this together and that we all struggle through the same challenges as a “village” and not as “individuals”, it would be easier to keep going. You are not alone and have the support of others in the same situation.
In my attempt to be a custodian for breastfeeding moms I have created content that moms can download to help them. Find our downloadable Breastfeeding Tips & Trick HERE.
How to increase your breastmilk supply: 5 Quick tips from Natalie
- Drink enough water.
- Diet – Ensure you’re eating wholesome nutrient rich food.
- Empty your jugs – If you’re direct feeding, express afterwards. Have items that smell or remind you of your little one while you express.
- Make sure your breast pump flange fits you correctly!
- Try not to stress about your supply! It’s a real milk killer.
* REMEMBER your output from pumping is not an indication of how much milk you make. Judge your supply by baby’s wet nappy output & weight gain!
What would be the perfect Mother’s day gift for yourself this year?
I would love a mom’s day experience. Just our family celebrating the day together. Last year we went to the Johannesburg zoo for the Mother’s Day picnic and I had the best time!
New to the Mrs. Milk family is the Moringa & Green Apple bar!
This is the Fenugreek Free version of the classic Oat Bars. Just as tasty as before and made from wholesome ingredients like natural rolled oats, brewers yeast, Moringa powder, flax, sunflower and chia seeds, as well as dairy free dark chocolate.
They really are YUM and no fenugreek means I can keep enjoying these long after breastfeeding too.
*These bars are also Halaal, vegan, preservative free, wheat free and dairy free.
CLOSED: Congratulations Bhavana Singh!
Win a beautiful gift pack from Mrs. Milk!
The prize includes:
- A 12 pack of Mrs Milk Lactation Oat bars (6 classic, 6 moringa)
- 1 X Natursutten dummy
- 1 X Carmien nursing mom tea.
TOTAL PRIZE VALUE: R490
How to enter:
- Leave us a comment below telling us what you love most about breastfeeding.
- Make sure you follow Mrs Milk on Facebook or Instagram (both would be fab too).
- Follow me on either (or both) if you like, but it’s not compulsory. (@justamammablog or @justamamma)
- For extra entries be sure to enter on either this Facebook post or this Instagram post as well.
The giveaway ends on Wednesday, the 29th of May 2019.
- Comments left below and on the applicable social media posts count as valid entries.
- Instagram and Facebook is in no way responsible or associated with this giveaway.
- Competition only open to South African residents residing in South Africa.
- Winner must be 18+ years old.
- Competition closes on the 29th of May 2019.
- The winner is picked at random and announced via social media and this blogpost.
- This prize is not exchangeable for cash or refundable.
- Please enter a valid email and contact info. If we can not get hold of you within 48 hours a new winner will be picked.
- The greatest care will be taken when sending your prize but Just a Mamma and Mrs. Milk, do not accept any responsibility for lost, stolen or damaged goods.