* This post is sponsored by Superbalist. It's the beginning of a new school year and the start of all kinds of extra-murals and sports for our crew... That means shoe shopping. More specifically, sneaker shopping! Growing feet need new trainers for netball, hockey,...
Winter Wellness for families – How we keep our family healthy
Winter Wellness for families is a hot topic every year but this year, it’s more important than ever to make sure we stay healthy and safe. I am not a doctor or any type of healthcare provider. Just a mom that believes in prevention over cure and giving our bodies as much natural support as possible. We prioritize healthy eating and exercise throughout the year but as winter rolls in we take a few extra precautions to keep the sniffles at bay.
5 Ways we are staying healthy this winter!
1. A teaspoon of Rosita Cod Liver oil to start the day
* After the information that came to light after watching the documentary Seaspiracy we have decided to no longer use cod liver oil.
I lived with my grandma for a good few years growing up and Cod Liver Oil, daily, was non-negotiable. Now years later I still see the benefits and we are teaching our girls this healthy habit too.
Rosita Cod Liver Oil contains:
- Vitamin A and
- Vitamin D
- a complete range of raw omega fats including omega 3, 4, 6, 7, 9 and 11 fats.
- It is particularly rich in the long-chain omega-3s (EPA and DHA) which are also known as essential fats because the body cannot make them from scratch, it makes these fatty acids from omega-3 linolenic acid which must come from food/diet.
However, not all Cod Liver Oils are made the same and to truly benefit you need to make sure you’re taking a good quality oil, sourced, extracted and bottled correctly.
Rosita Extra-Virgin Cod Liver Oil (EVCLO) is a “living oil” sustainably sourced from wild and abundant Norwegian codfish stock. It is unprocessed, raw fish liver extracted for codfish livers using traditional methods that do not require any heat or mechanical devices. So, the delicate fatty acids found in this nutrient-dense fish oil are retained. The end product is a pure and undisturbed whole food giving us the maximum health benefits provided by nature.
All oils are also thoroughly tested by leading universities and government-linked institutes, giving us peace of mind that Rosita cod liver oils are truly pure. No extras are added in an attempt to alter the nutritional composition in any way. Available in a liquid and soft gel tablets.
TOP TIP: We keep our Rosita Cod Liver Oil in the fridge. Since doing so the girls haven’t complained about the taste and it’s also a little less runny, preventing spills.
2. Boosting our immunity with Young Living Essential Oils
Essential Oils have always been apart of our home but it was only after Young Living launched in South Africa that we felt comfortable enough to start using them regularly. This is due to one thing… The Young Living “SEED TO SEAL” guarantee that gives me the reassurance needed that the oils we use as a family are in fact of the highest and purest standard. Completely toxin-free and safe to use. We don’t see EO as a replacement for western medicine or a wonder cure. It’s simply another “natural tool” we use to stay healthy and less dependant on medicines.
Our favourite oils for Winter Wellness include:
- Lavender – The “Swiss Army Knife” off oils, assisting in various areas of wellness.
- Lemon – Not just great for us but also our home, as a potent cleaner.
- Thieves – This combo of Clove, Lemon, Cinnamon, Rosemary and Eucalyptus is great at giving your immunity a boost.
- Purification – Lemongrass, Rosemary, Tea Tree, Myrtle, Citronella and Lavandin is the perfect air deodoriser and neutraliser. It even keeps the mozzies at bay during summer.
- RC (Respiratory Care) – Snotty noses, sneezes and sniffles call for this mix of various Eucalyptus types, Myrtle, Black Spruce, Peppermint, Pine, Lavender, Marjoram and Cypress.
Together with organic grapeseed oil, I enjoy making up various rollers that we apply to each other’s feet and spine 5 times a week. Our most used roller is a wellness roller (made with Thieves, Purification and Lemon OR Lavender) and I also keep a breath easy roller (made with RC and Lemon OR Lavender) handy just in case.
During winter our home is also filled with the lingering smell of Purification being diffused into the air.
Essential Oils are potent and can be harmful when misused. I don’t feel comfortable using certain oils on babies and toddlers and that’s why proper knowledge of oils, before use is important. Annabell, from Botanical Bella is passionate about plant-based wellness and the perfect person to guide you through the safe use of essential oils for the entire family. You could, of course, do your own research too but having an “oily couch” in your corner makes things a whole lot easier.
3. Cutting out sugar as much as possible
We keep to a healthy whole food diet but the cold weather definitely has all of us snacking more… Having nutritious options at hand that hits “that sweet spot” without compromising our immune system is very important.
Mrs. Milk recently launched the ChewBar – A superfood protein soft bar. Available in 2 flavours, apple & baobab as well as cocoa & maringa. These bars are delicious!!!!
- High in fibre
- GMO free
- Gluten free
- Preservative free
- Made with pea protein and various superfoods (such as nuts and seeds) PLUS no sugar cane added.
These bars give little ones (and their parents) a nutrient-dense, low GI snack that contains NO BAD STUFF!
Sold in boxes containing 5 bars each, it’s better to stock up plus, if you order 5 boxes or more, SHIPPING IS FREE.
Find more of our favourite snacks and recipes HERE.
4. Wearing this season’s number 1 accessory… A face mask!
Facemasks have become a MUST and that’s why we’ve decided to invest in reusable masks. We have a few different styles and one of those includes a family set recently ordered from Anneen Henze. The masks are made using 2 layers of soft brushed linen with a vilene woven inner.
- Available in 3 sizes for adults and kids (6-12 years and 3-5 years)
- The adult mask comes with a fabric, as well as an elastic tie. And the kid’s masks all use an elastic tie.
These masks are functional and soft but also super stylish in trendy colours such as Nude, Rust, Denim, Blush and Black. We may as well make it fashionable, right?
5. Keeping our Owgels Portable Nebulizer close
We have learnt the value of a nebuliser over-and-over again… First when Lia fell sick with RSV, then while being pregnant and flu-ridden, unable to breathe through my nose or use any medication, and again earlier this year while on holiday when Ava fell ill with croup. The doctor only let us leave the hospital early because we had packed our Owgels Portable Nebulizer. A nebuliser has come to our rescue more than once and it’s a MUST HAVE for our family.
Only thing, our girls hate being nebulised! It’s a full-on wrestling match trying to keep the nebuliser plugged into the wall, and the piles from popping off, all while holding a mask over their mouth and nose. And then trying to find my “happy place” amidst the ear-deafening noise!!!!!
That was until now… The Owgels Ultrasonic Portable Nebulizer is a game-changer.
- Compact and portable – This little helper fits perfectly in my hand and weighs less than 230g. Diaper bag, handbag, we even took our to the beach (Keeping to Ava’s nebulising schedule perfectly).
- Very user-friendly – No pipes or extra attachments. Single-button operation allowing you to choose between three adjustable speeds and an automatic shut down after 10-minutes of inactivity. It’s awesome, especially when I fall asleep during a midnight neb session.
- Silent – This is my favourite feature and makes this nebuliser much less intimidating for little ones. In fact, I can nebulise the girls in their sleep. No more fighting.
- More sustainable with low power consumption – The nebuliser works with lithium rechargeable batteries which also makes it ideal for power shortages and traveling. No sitting next to plug outlets or fidgeting with power cables. The rechargeable batteries are charged through a USB port. You can even charge will on the go in your car!
And one last, extra addition to our “medicine cabinet”…
Protecting and taking care of our skin, our biggest organ, and 1st line of defense is ALWAYS important and that’s why I was so happy when I came across PATCH bamboo bandages last year.
Our girls have always shown a reaction to conventional plasters. Hours after use I would notice redness around the plaster and if not removed in time an itchy rash would appear. This rash would become sore and most of the time the reaction to the plaster was far more severe and painful than the wound it was meant to protect.
PATCH bamboo bandages are an incredible, natural alternative made with 100% certified organic bamboo fibre.
The range includes 4 options – Extra natural goodness in the form of coconut oil, aloe vera and activated charcoal has been added for their proven benefits in soothing symptoms and assisting with wound recovery.
The bandages are also 100% biodegradable making them GOOD FOR US and GOOD FOR THE PLANET.
Giveaway Closed – Congratulations Hayley Malan
Now we want to help boost your immunity too with a little “Winter Wellness for Families” hamper!
- 2 Adult and 2 kids linen face mask by local designer Anneen Henze (colours of your choice)
- 4 Boxes of ChewBar (2 of each flavour)
- 4 Tubes of PATCH bamboo bandages (one of each type)
- Young Living Essential oils from Botanical Bella which includes all our favourite oils (Thieves, Purification, Lemon, Lavender, and R.C) plus everything needed for you to make your own Wellness Roller, Breathe Roller and Sleep Well Roller.
- An Owgels Ultrasonic Portable Nebulizer and 6x discount codes for 6 lucky followers.
- From Rosita – a 150ml EVCLO liquid Cod liver oil
TOTAL PRIZE VALUE: R 4 200
How to enter
There are THREE ways to enter, you can complete one of these steps OR all of them to gain more entries:
- Leave a comment here telling us what you would be most excited to win!
- Go to our Facebook page and under this post leave us a comment tagging who you think would also like this competition.
- Visit our Instagram account too. Leave a comment under this post tagging who you think would like this competition.
Our “Winter Wellness for families Giveaway” closes on the 27th of May 2020.
- Only entries via Instagram, Facebook, and comments left below will be considered.
- Instagram and Facebook are in no way responsible or associated with this giveaway.
- The Winter Wellness for Families giveaway is only open to South African residents residing in South Africa.
- The winner must be 18+ years old.
- The Winter Wellness for families giveaway closes on the 27th of May 2020.
- The winner is picked at random and announced on the 29th of May 2020.
- This prize is not exchangeable or refundable.
- Please enter valid email and contact info. If we can not get hold of you within 48 hours a new winner will be picked.
- The greatest care will be taken when mailing your prize but Just a Mamma and all brands involved do not accept any responsibility for lost, stolen or damaged goods.
Join the sisterhood
Just a mamma
Seen on CapeTownInsider
Posts you may also like
Still in disbelief as I type this BUT... 2023 is on the horizon! Another year sped by in the blink of an eye and I have a feeling things will keep speeding up, especially as I try my best to juggle home life, work life, playschool, primary school, family, friends and...
It's only 54 days till "the most WONDERFUL day of the year". Mr. Bublé is already playing as I'm writing this and I can almost taste "Ouma Myra's" gingerbread cookies. It's also time to place those festive orders because... Supporting local means we have to plan ahead...
* This post is sponsored by Superbalist. I don't do well in big crowds, busy shopping centers, or when needing to fight for that last marked-down item in-store. In fact, everything about BLACK FRIDAY makes me anxious, that's why Cyber Monday is more "our thing". I can...
When was the last time you printed your photos? When was the last time you put together a photo album of your most precious memories? We all (especially moms) have the best intentions when it comes to "recording" our family history BUT... Time and know-how can be a...