A few weeks ago our entire family got treated to a special premiere screening of the new Thomas the train film. Thomas and Friends. Big World! Big Adventures! The entire family was excited. I however had my doubts feeling hesitant about going to the movies with a 6, 4 and 1 year old… (Let’s just say the previous experience was less than desirable).
Our girls are busy, rough and tumble kind of gals.
We keep screen time to a minimum and even Friday family movie nights isn’t a passive 2 hour sit down. Would Thomas and his friends be able to keep all of us happy and entertained for an entire movie?
First, more about the movie
Pre-schoolers (and their parents).
Storyline / plot:
Full of unexpected twists and turns. Thomas is on a quest to be the 1st railway engine to go around the world. Along the way he meets interesting friends as he travels across Africa, South- and North America as well as China. Nia, a beautiful tank engine from Kenya decides to join Thomas on this global adventure. Together they encounter different challenges and Thomas learns what it means to be a true friend.
The soundtrack is something special too.
With original musical pieces the soundtrack is fun and a hit with the littles. And how can we not feel proud to have local talent, Bobby van Jaarsveld singing the theme song?
At the premiere we had a quick Q & A, parent-to-parent.
- Bobby’s favourite character from the movie?
Except for Nia of course, Bobby also likes Yong Bao the tender engine from China but with so many wonderful old and new characters it’s difficult to choose. Everyone plays such an important role in telling the story and the message would be lost if someone was to be left out.
- Are the “Van Jaarsvelds” regular movie buffs?
YES! Bobby loves going to the movies as much as possible. Once a week if he can and if there’s a good animation showing – it’s a family date.
- Any rules at home regarding screen time?
At home the TV doesn’t get much use except for the occasional animation or sport; rugby.
- Are you strict when it comes to exposing your kids to movies and animated series that promote certain values and storylines?
Absolutely! Our kids don’t watch anything without us. We are sensitive to the morals and values being conveyed making sure it fits in with our own.
- Is Thomas and Friends. Big World! Big Adventures! the type of movie your family would watch?
Definitely. It has so many great life lessons aimed at kids. It’s AMAZING!
Going global and visiting all the continents introduces Thomas to a whole new audience and having him in Africa is obviously extra special too.
We enjoyed meeting all the new characters but Nia is our favourite!
Optimist, strong, driven… She’s got girl power going on and holds her good values dear, treating everyone fairly. She’s the “moral compass” of the story but in a cool way, never taking a backseat in this male-dominated world of trains. Speaking her mind, staying kind and thoughtful, always being a good friend.
Her warm heart and infectious enthusiasm makes her a bestie to boys and girls.
Thomas and Friends. Big World! Big Adventures! Is a fantastic family movie.
It’s good, innocent fun sure to please Thomas and Friends fans as well as families looking for a great vacation release. The animation is colourful and energetic enough to keep everyone entertained without being frightening or over-stimulating. Good values are promoted and the overall message is one of encouragement, help and determination. Best of all, it’s short and sweet. Lia and Eliana watches from beginning to end without wanting to leave and didn’t feel bored. Even Ava enjoyed the 1st 30 minutes before dozing off.
The film releases in Ster Kinekor cinemas nationwide on the 5th of October. That’s today!
The new theme song can be downloaded for free from Bobby’s official website at:www.bobbyvanjaarsveld.com.
We wanted to include a freebie too!
Win a Thomas and Friends backpack filled with loads of awesome Thomas merchandise. Believe me it’s cool.
How to enter:
- Please leave a comment below sharing your little one’s favourite Thomas and Friends character. It can be anyone from any movie or the original series.
- Be sure to follow Just a Mamma on Instagram AND / OR Facebook. (We’ll be announcing the winner there.)
Also, feel free to SHARE this post with all the other Thomas and Friends fans too.
- Only entries via comments left below will be considered.
- Instagram and Facebook is in no way responsible or associated with this giveaway.
- You need to follow both @justamamma on Instagram and / or Facebook to qualify.
- Competition only open to South African residents residing in South Africa.
- Winner must be 18+ years old.
- Competition closes on the 25th of October 2018.
- The winner is picked at random and announced by the end of October 2018.
- This prize is not exchangeable or refundable.
- Please enter valid email and contact info. If we can not get hold of you within 48 hours a new winner will be picked.
- The greatest care will be taken when mailing your prize but Just a Mamma and Bespoke Communications together with Thomas and Friends, do not accept any responsibility for lost, stolen or damaged goods.
Videos and photos courtesy of Bespoke Communications.