Disclaimer: Post sponsored by Edgars.
By next week, this time I’ll be a lonely mother-hen counting down the hours till I get to go fetch my chicks… It’s back to school season and this year my heart is particularly heavy seeing as Ava, (the baby of our family) will be starting school too. I have no idea what I’m going to be doing from 8 am to 2 pm daily… But thankfully by now, we know how to prepare for “Back to School”. So, today I share all our tried and tested tips and tricks – put together in handy checklists for you to download, print and use. Making the first day of school stressfree and fun for everyone.
Preparing for the new school year – 7 Days to go!
Whether you have a Grade 1, Grade 8 or 4 month old… Starting school (or a new chapter in your school journey) is a big deal with loads of things to do and remember. The details will differ but the basics always stay the same and the sooner you figure out your “Back to School Groove” the easier things will become year-after-year. This is what you need to be doing NOW, 1 week before school starts:
- Edgars stock a great selection of school basics and when you spend R300 on any school shoes, clothes, backpacks or accessories you’ll receive FREE school socks worth R89.95! A total win because we all know how socks disappear…
TOP TIP FOR PRE-SCHOOLERS FROM AN EX-TEACHER:
- Keep school clothes comfortable and easy to wear. Long dresses, lace, and fancy outfits aren’t easy to play in and can actually get caught on the jungle gym, bicycle wheels and also tend to make little ones nervous and overly cautious during messy play. Onesies aren’t great for potty training either.
- Don’t underestimate the power of character wear… Having your favourite princess, a courageous superhero, everyone’s favourite lion or the most famous mouse in the world on your sleeve, hat or chest can be all that’s needed to kickup a conversation with a new friend or even inspire a fun game to play – Providing just that extra boost of confidence and security needed to conquer school jitters.
- Also, remember to add a sunhat and soft blanket for naptime.
- This year we are trying out Hello Dolly Designs for our labeling needs. Fellow mama Chrisinda is the amazing talent behind all the beautiful labels designs available from their online store and with so many options and trendy colours available you’re sure to find a label package to suit your budget and taste. Definitely visit their website today to order!
* All labels are waterproof, dishwasher resistant, freezer resistant and microwave safe.
Preparing for the new school year – 1 Day to go!
- Finding the right school bag is very important. You’ll need one that lasts and can fit and keep all your child’s books and stationery safe. Before buying one just be sure to check for school guidelines. A lot of schools have strict rules concerning school bags and may not allow for certain designs or colours.
Thankfully Edgars has a huge selection of school backpacks, trolley bags and also fun options for the under 6 crowd.
TOP TIP: For healthy lunch ideas, be sure to check out our post on EVERYDAY NUTRITION: A HEALTHY LUNCHBOX FOR A HEALTHY MIND (and remember to download and print the “Lunchbox Cheat Sheet” too – It will make packing school lunches a breeze).
Preparing for the new school year – “The BIG day!
Most importantly, just remember to make it fun!
Prepare your little one for the year to come. Tell them about their new school, their teacher’s name and what can be expected from a normal school day. Read stories and look through picture books about school.
Be positive, excited and encouraging, even if you feel unsure as well.
TOP TIP: Do a “night before the 1st day of school” box (similar to a Christmas Eve box). Fill it with special school surprises like fun bath time goodies, a new set of PJs, a bedtime story to read, a little letter, a new lunchbox or water bottle. Anything your child might like…
Now remember to download and print your Back to School checklists HERE and get ready for 2020 – THE BEST YEAR YET!
GIVEAWAY CLOSED – CONGRATULATIONS to our social media winner Mari Muller (Facebook) and our blog winner Shaaista Mahomed
Edgars would love to help you prepare for the new school year too…
Win 1 of 2 R2000 Edgars vouchers! We will be giving away one to a lucky blog reader and the other to a follower on Facebook or Instagram.
How to enter
There are THREE ways to enter, you can complete one of these steps OR all of them to gain more entries:
- Leave a comment here just saying hi!
- Go to our Facebook page and under this post leave me a comment tagging who you think would also like this competition.
- Visit our Instagram account too. Leave a comment under this post tagging who you think would like this competition.
We’ll be choosing a winner on the 12th of January 2020.
- Only entries via Instagram, Facebook, and comments left below will be considered.
- Instagram and Facebook are in no way responsible or associated with this giveaway.
- Competition only open to South African residents residing in South Africa.
- Winner must be 18+ years old.
- Competition closes on the 12th of January 2020.
- The winner is picked at random and announced on the 12th of January 2020.
- This prize is not exchangeable or refundable.
- Please enter valid email and contact info. If we can not get hold of you within 48 hours a new winner will be picked.
- The greatest care will be taken when mailing your prize but Just a Mamma and Edgars do not accept any responsibility for lost, stolen or damaged goods.