Little know fact about myself; I use to be a “mama-maker”. Back in 2012-2015 I had a little baby and toddler clothing range called Eli & I. Together with a small team of seamstresses, we work the Gauteng market scene, providing clothes for a few baby boutiques and running our own online store. It was fun, amazing and EXTREMELY hard work… That’s probably where my deep appreciation, love and support for shopping local and buying small grew.
Another mama that shares in this same passion is Marelize Boersema, and with the help of her best friend, Janet Steenkamp, they launched Flair Baby & Toddler Market 2 years ago. Their aim is to bring together the best in local “mama-maker” talent, only selecting original and unique product ranges and bringing visitors new and exciting vendors every time. With 80 vendors showcasing the best they’ve got, supporting these mamas will be easy.
Held at The Collection Venue; the market is a fun filled fair for the whole family! Mom can shop, the kids can play and be entertained with face painting, balloon sculpting, ceramic painting, cupcake decorating and more, while dad relaxes with a cold one in the lovely outdoor food court.
Always trying to better the fair – this year also sees the 1st “Flair Baby of the year” as well as a live show by Dinky & Doodles. Mommies also have the opportunity to attend various educational classes taking place during the fair. There are also tons of competitions and giveaways taking place throughout the duration of the fair with more than R10 000 worth of prizes to be won.
Still not convinced…? Hubby giving you a hard time…?
5 Reasons you should support mompreneurs (this weekend and always):
1. The obvious reason – When buying local you strengthens our economy.
2. More sales = more production = more local employment opportunities.
3. Supporting these mamas keeps them on their toes, stimulating innovation and creativity. New and better products for us all!
4. Contributing to the success of new, local businesses will build opportunities for the next generation, our kids!
5. You are not just buying a product but investing in a mama-maker and giving her the chance to refine her artisanal skills, bettering her range and growing her brand which in turn benefits the maker as well as the customer.
Some of my favourite mama grown brands I look forward to seeing this weekend:
And many, many more!
Helpful info: Flair Baby & Toddler Market kept things easy with various payment options available including SnapScan, Card Payments and Cash.
PHOTO CREDIT | Flair Baby & Toddler Market.