* This post is sponsored by Superbalist. It's the beginning of a new school year and the start of all kinds of extra-murals and sports for our crew... That means shoe shopping. More specifically, sneaker shopping! Growing feet need new trainers for netball, hockey,...
Christmas gift ideas for tweens
I love a good gift guide! Especially for those “less than easy” to buy for loved ones. So, this year, I roped in our 10year old and together we came up with a few gift ideas for tweens… Categorised according to the “4 gift rule“, also known as the “Wear, Read, Want and Need” approach to gifting.
Hopefully, this post will make shopping for our t(w)een a little easier…
something your tween may need…
- A Bags for Books set for Grade 4-7 which includes book bags for each subject. Available in Afrikaans and English, with a personalised or non-personalised option to choose from.
- Eliana has loved using the new Pure Beginnings Tween range this year. It includes skincare and multi-function products developed especially for tween, teen and young adult skin. All products are certified organic and packed with essential fatty acids and vitamins that stimulate cell growth as well as probiotics, prebiotics and salicylic acid to help purify the skin and restore balance. Available at most health stores as well as online stockists.
- A steel water bottle is a must and you won’t get better than PURA. We have been using ours since 2018 and have only needed to replace the mouth tops. Reusetarian sells the entire Pura range and Takealot.com stocks a few options as well.
- A personalised chunky mini duffel from Hansel & Gretel is perfect for those after-school activities or a day out!
- Smartwatches may be all the rage but during tests and exams, those aren’t allowed. That’s when an old-school analog watch comes in handy. I still remember my 1st SWATCH watch and all these years later, they still have some of the best designs for tweens. You’ll be spoiled for choice.
- Summers in South Africa are HOT and at times lunchboxes need to be kept cool. A funky, small cooler does the trick and can be a lifesaver next to the sports field too. Hansel & Gretel have a variety of prints to choose from or you could go for a double-decker cooler bag from Crunchbox.
- By now the kids will already have received their stationery lists for the next school year. So, why not save some money and get the “back to school” shopping done early?
- Another “back to school” stocking filler idea… A new lunchbox. CRUNCHBOX is a proudly South African lunchbox that has been designed with individual compartments (choose between the 3 and 5-compartment insert) and a unique seal that keeps each section separate and contained. They are even running a little Christmas discount code. Get 10% off when using the discount code XMAS2022. (Offer ends 11 December 2022 when orders close for the year or while stock lasts.)
- Help your teen plan their week with an acrylic weekly planner from Ma Petite (more design options available online.)
- A Boomerang Extra Large School Trolley bag. It’s big enough to fit ALL those book bags and robust enough to survive school days. Available at PNA as well as Takealot.com.
Books for them to read…
- A teen/young adult must-read, The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.
- Birds, Bees and Destinies from The Chat help parents talk to their children about sex in a relaxed, fun and conversational manner.
- Good Pictures, Bad Pictures by Kristen A Jenson teaches kids exactly what to do to protect their young minds when they see pornography.
- #wellconnected: How to be safe, wise & kind online is a book for young digital users, exploring the online space for the first time. Complete with conversation starters, helpful tips and a family digital contract.
- The My Story Journal is a fun 120-page, A5 journal with 60 beautifully illustrated activities and diary prompts to get your tween thinking. Available in English and Afrikaans for ages 6-10 and 10-13years.
- Pair your My Story Journal with a My Story Art Journal. Developed by an Art Therapist, Occupational Therapist, and Children’s Book Author. Every prompt aims to either calm, support, or invite your child to engage in their own life story. No art expertise is needed! (Gauteng parents can order the My Story Journal and Art Journal HERE.)
- The Treasure Hunt Bible is the perfect bridge between Bible storybooks and full Bible text. Available at CUM Books and Takealot.com.
- The Action Bible: God’s Redemptive Story includes 215 stories communicated clearly and forcefully to contemporary readers of all ages. Available at CUM Books and Takealot.com.
- The My Creative Bible combines the King James Version text with Scripture-based lined-art illustrations to color in. Available at CUM Books and Takealot.com.
something to wear…
- Crocs because you know all the cool kids are wearing them.
- Beautiful Argentium silver Valori jewelery by My Kind Ek Uniek. Rings, necklaces and bracelets engraved with scripture and other motivational words reminding us how unique we all are. All pieces can be personilised to add an extra special touch.
- Non-toxic, hypoallergenic, cruelty-free, locally-produced, mineral-based makeup for kids by Cassie Kids to kick off your tween’s “clean beauty” journey.
- Funky socks are always welcome and no one does socks better than Feat.
- Whether you go for the classic high tops or splurge on a new, trendy design… A pair of Converse is a tween wardrobe staple.
- In the Southern hemisphere Christmas means summer and a growing tween can most likely do with new swimwear. Local brand Just Jump serves up loads of fun colours and prints with their quality, UV 50+, chlorine-resistant lycra swimwear made from re-cycled plastic bottles.
- Something subtle to spritz during the warm summer months. The Body Shop has a great selection of Eau de Toilettes – a lighter, fresh scent perfect for young ladies and gents.
- Another meaningful piece of jewelery from the Sea & Shore Faith collection – Faith as small as a mustard seed! Inspired by Matthew 13:31-32. A tangible reminder to hold onto and remember the strength that resides within each of us.
- Cool Christmas tees and pj sets by Lucky Little because being “corny” with the family is always cool!
A few things tweens may want…
- I’m happy to report… Nerf guns are still cool! Takealot.com has a great selection and discounts too.
- A karaoke microphone for your next South African idol.
- Earphones for gaming or just relaxing while listening to Midnights or a favourite podcast. You’ll need to do a bit of your own research her seeing as there are so many options available.
- Retro but “upgraded” – the Phantom Rubiks Cube is sure to challenge and surprise your tween. Sold at most leading toy stores.
- LEGO will ALWAYS be cool, no matter our age.
- Instant Cameras have always been a popular choice and the Instax Liplay is perfect for tweens with its digital screen. No more wasting film on bad photos. Use the Liplay as an Instant camera or a portable printer for your smartphone. It comes with loads of other exciting features too. (Read our full review here.)
- The Nintendo Switch Lite for gaming on the go. (Works With Nintendo Parental Control App.)
- Personalised LED wall lights to brighten up your tween’s bedroom by Ma Petite.
- Too many books to read, too little space… Kindle is the solution for your tween bookworm.
- The Xbox Series S is the smallest, sleekest Xbox ever. All of the speed and performance of a next-gen all-digital console but at an accessible price point.
That’s our TOP gift ideas for tweens. Do you have any to add? Please do so in a comment below and help us expand this gift guide with your recommendations too.
Remember to share these gift ideas for tweens with all the other t(w)een mamas too!
Looking for more gift ideas? CLICK HERE!
Join the sisterhood
Just a mamma
Seen on CapeTownInsider
Posts you may also like
It's only 54 days till "the most WONDERFUL day of the year". Mr. Bublé is already playing as I'm writing this and I can almost taste "Ouma Myra's" gingerbread cookies. It's also time to place those festive orders because... Supporting local means we have to plan ahead...
We love a good celebration and putting together a pretty party has always been my thing. So when Mr. Perfect turned the big FORTY this year, I knew we'd be doing something special... BUT planning a 40th birthday party for him would be very different from anything else...
As our girls grow older we consciously move towards incorporating more Biblical meaning and symbols into our Easter celebrations. All in an effort to keep Jesus the focus. Resurrection Eggs are anything new. A quick google search renders millions of results. I however...
Easy label making is a MUST in our home. With 3 kids, all in school, I often forget to order everyone's labels in time and we always seem to be running low on clothing labels... Plus, labels are EXPENSIVE! Until I've found a DIY "one-for-all" stamp kit that saves me...